the Acacia Cottage

a170909-3002-1The Auckland Heritage Festival kicks off today, celebrating the 169th anniversary of the city’s founding.
The Acacia Cottage is one of the earliest surviving timber dwellings in the country and the oldest in Auckland. Built in 1841 this small timber house originally stood to the rear of the Shortland Street store run by William Brown and John Logan Campbell, two of the earliest traders in Auckland. John Campbell rose later to prominence, became Mayor, and was known as the “Father of Auckland”. The Cottage was moved to Cornwall Park in 1920, where it is now on public display. Cornwall park had been donated to the nation by Campbell in 1901.
Click Here to see images of Cornwall Park
published earlier on Auckland Daily Photo.